Staycation Recap

Well that was an action-packed four days!  I could tell you all about the eating we did, but suffice it to say that I made a lot more wrong choices than I did right.  But I think that’s allowed when you’re on vacation.  So judge me if you must, but you’ll be seeing me not care! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thursday, we headed for the indoor rock climbing place as soon as the kids were out the door.  I was so excited, but seriously nervous.  Heights and I just don’t get along.  What do you expect when I’m barely over five feet tall??  And I wasn’t sure how my arms would handle all that climbing.  Turns out, I’m pretty freaking strong!  I stayed on the easy paths, because I wanted to build up my confidence.  The first time I reached the top, I had a serious panic moment.  I did not want to let go of the wall and trust J to lower me down.  It was his first time too….what if he did something wrong?!  So it took me a minute, but I finally gave in and let go.  It was a rocky first time down because I was sort of in a corner, so I kept hitting the walls.  But I survived and learned to trust my husband. 

He did great and tackled the harder paths.  Some of the walls were slanted and that didn’t really work well for me.  I made it up halfway on two of the harder walls, but I did conquer one of the easier slanted ones.  Overall, I was pretty impressed with my speed and confidence.  I made it to the top at least five times – J did it no less than eight times.  I wouldn’t say that I see rock climbing in my future, but I guess you never know.  I am a fan of the nice finger holds…I can’t imagine trying to climb a real rock.  Eek.  And some images…

Fun stuff.

After that adventure, we did some shopping.  It was either that, or yardwork.  J chose wisely.  Our staycation was briefly interrupted by J’s college class, but I kept myself busy in the mall.

The next morning, we got up nice and early for a two hour drive.  To go zip lining!  The old me can’t believe the new me would even consider this, but the new me is pretty awesome. 

After what felt like forever, we got there and immediately began our zip lining experience!  Luckily, there was another picture-happy woman (& her hubby) there, so we decided to take photos of each other and trade them via email.  I’m sooo thankful that we were able to do this! 

I can’t remember exactly how many lines there were, but it was around 8.  And there was a Burma bridge.  Which was NOT my favorite.  I actually did fairly well with everything, except when I had to just drop off of a platform.  Again with that whole loss of control thing.  Also not my favorite.  But it was an amazing experience and I can’t wait to do it again! 

Okay I’m basically only showing this picture because I think my arms look fabulous!  And I don’t look so hot in the rest of the photos.

Here is that awful Burma bridge.  One of our guides (that guy back there in the green) kept shaking the bottom rope so I would fall.  He’s lucky I’m nice.  But I seriously wanted to cry!  I would have been so embarrassed if I had fallen off because we were the last two to go, and no one else had slipped off.  I’m smiling here but I was screaming on the inside!

This was towards the end and right after I stepped off of the platform.  Kinda hard to see me!

And J on the same line.  Mr. Not-Scaredy-Pants.

And here we are at the end.  I seriously love this man. 

And even though I wanted to kill one of our guides on the Burma bridge, they were really a lot of fun and extremely patient.  So if you’re in the southern Indiana area, check out Dagaz Acres!

On our loooong drive home, we stopped for lunch and I convinced him to hit the outlet mall with me.  Again, yardwork vs. shopping.  That was a lot of fun.  For me of course.

That night, we got together with some family for my uncle’s birthday party.  We got to see the kids for a few hours, but they made it clear that they were not ready to come home.  And coincidentally, I was still enjoying our kid-free time!

After that, we went to the movies and saw Horrible Bosses.  Super funny movie.  It was packed, so I didn’t get a pic of us in the theater.  Even I get embarrassed pulling out the phone for a random snapshot sometimes.  Not often, but sometimes.

We finally made it home and we were exhausted from the day’s activities.  And we knew the next day was going to be even more tiring, but I was still excited!

Saturday, we hit the snooze button for about an hour straight, but finally got up around 7 am.  I don’t think it makes sense to wake up earlier on your staycation than you do normally, but we had things to do.  So whatever.  We got all ready, and J loaded our bikes in the van.  It was bike ride day!  Now, last year we completed 41 miles.  I knew I wanted to get in 50 this time.  I weigh nearly 50 pounds less this time, and I’m in a lot better shape.  So after finding a parking space downtown, we hit the pavement.

We had a little snafu early on with some trail construction, but J got us back on track and we got going.  I was quickly reminded why I love biking so much.  The wind on your face is just about the most incredible feeling ever.  And you can coast, which you can’t do while running – obviously.  Oh do I love coasting. 

But I was also reminded of the bad part – the butt pain.  Owwwww.  We have great seats on our bikes, but it still hurt. 

We had plans to stop and eat at the Subway along the path, but neither of us felt hungry.  So we kept on going.

Our average miles per hour widely varied, anywhere from 7 to 10 mph.  We pedaled faster than that, but there were quite a bit of stops to cross traffic.

Because we are total dorks, we took pictures while riding.  At least I didn’t upload them to Facebook while pedaling like I did last year.  I’m getting a little smarter with age.

Right before we hit the 30-mile mark, we stopped for frozen yogurt.  I kept calling it fro-yo during our ride, just because I love when people say that.  But I started to annoy myself with it, so I was glad when we made it there so I could finally shut up!  Here were are enjoying our treat…

Yum yum.  And yeah, mine was filled with candy.

We got back on the road, and even though we were both in pain, we got in all of the planned 50 miles!  We actually got to see part of another trail that we didn’t see last year, so that was also exciting.  But I just can’t tell you how proud of us I am.  It ended up taking about 5 hours and 44 minutes of actual riding time.  Last year we averaged about 8 mph overall, and this year it was about 8.8.  Progress!

As we were nearing the van, we stopped for a water and I asked a nice woman to take our picture…

You can’t see our Jello legs.  Ouchie.  But how awesome are we?

I’m hoping to do 75 miles on my birthday in two months.  I need to look at the trail to see if it’s possible without retracing our path a bunch – I’m not big on that.  I’ll let you know.

Okay, so after that amazing feat, we came home and napped.  Yep, we’re old.  I’m not too proud to admit it.

Now normal people would call it a day, but nooooooot us!  It was the last night of our staycation after all.  We had tickets to a comedy-magic show, so we had to get showered and ready for that.  So that nap?  It only lasted about a half hour.  I woke up and stood in the shower while being in a complete stupor.  We moved around like zombies for the hour before we walked out the door.

Oh, and we also discovered that we aren’t the sharpest tools in the shed…

Sunscreen anyone?  This makes us awesome in a whole other way.

Onto to nicer things…

We ate dinner, and then headed to the show.  I said to J that I hoped they called on me to participate in the show.  I would have never hoped for that before.  Ever.  The fear of humiliation would have crippled me.  But this weekend was about facing my fears, and I was ready!

We got to the hotel and entered the room.  I have to be honest and say that I wasn’t totally sure how great it was going to be.  This wasn’t like a big stage or anything.  But it ended up being amazing the way it was.  There were around 40 of us in the audience, and that made it possible for the performers to interact with just about everyone in the room…some of us multiple times. 

The tricks were great, and their personalities were perfect.  J got called on fairly early and that was so exciting.  I figured at that point that I wouldn’t be called up.  There were only a few acts that they did where they called a single person up, and we were nearing the end.  But in the second to last act, they called for a volunteer and J pointed to me.  I was sort of protesting because my confidence had faltered a bit.  But when she asked me to come up, I was super happy.  And then I had to be a part of the scary trick.  But it was a lot of fun, and I don’t think I made a complete fool of myself! 

Thanks to the magic of Facebook, I already have images from the performance (courtesy of their photographer).

If you live in the Indy area, I highly recommend you check them out.  It’s a good time!  We posed for a pic after the performance as well…

And then we came home and crashed.  It was a long but awesome day.

Sunday, we woke up with plans to hit a psychic fair.  Now, look, I know not everyone believes in that stuff, and that’s totally fine.  But I’m fascinated by it and I think it’s a fun time.  We went to this particular place last year, and after looking back, we were amazed at how many things actually ended up happening.  Maybe random coincidence, maybe not. 

So anyway, we spoke to a few psychics and learned that we’ll be rich and famous and each live to be 372.  Just kidding.  Sorta.  Unlike last year, we heard a lot of positive things this time.  I got told three times that there was a pregnancy in my future.  That is not really the path we are thinking, and we are actively guarding against it, but our youngest proved to us that kids come when they want to.  And sometimes you just gotta go with the flow.  But they did say that just because they see it happening doesn’t mean it has to.  We may want to be extra careful around January apparently.

The funny thing is that because I feel so incredible at this point in my life, I didn’t have much to ask.  And the cards kept showing “change” and “transformation”.  No joke.  But they also had positive things to say about J’s future career.  He’ll be finishing his degree within a year so that was good to know.

I don’t know.  It just reinforced this hope I’ve been feeling.  Hope that our life will only keep getting better.  And I’ll take that.

We left the fair and grabbed lunch…not a healthy lunch, but I decided that I was still technically on vacation so it was okay. 

Can you tell where we went by the picture??

And that was the end of our staycation!  I went shopping (yes, again) for a while and the grandparents brought the babies home to hang out with J.  I came home with a new movie (Nanny McPhee Returns) and Subway for dinner.  We spent the evening catching our flick and eating chocolate.  It was a great movie and we had a great time laughing together.

We definitely needed a little kid-free time, and I’m feeling refreshed today.  I worked this morning, but I felt brave enough to venture out this afternoon to the grocery store with all three of them.  I was reminded this weekend that my kids are absolutely amazing, and I’m so lucky to be their mom. 

And I was also reminded that above all else, J is my very best friend and he will do just about anything for me.  I’ve even convinced him to go skydiving with me in the near future.  We had so much fun together, and we just absolutely love being around each other.  So thanks babe, for our adventures this weekend.  You’re the best.

The only not awesome part of this whole time?  We’re both covered in poison ivy.  I never even touched the stuff and I somehow ended up with it all over my body.  My neck, chest, arms, legs, stomach.  It’s super.  I’m concerned that I may have to cancel my consultation with the plastic surgeon on Thursday.  Wouldn’t it be rude to show up covered in bumps?  I don’t know, but I soooo don’t want to cancel.  Maybe I should call and ask. 

My weight is not in a good place, and I need to work on that this week.  I want to be at my best for my consultation, so I need to drink plenty of water and get in my cardio for sure.  And since it’s a billion degrees outside, I’ll need to do it indoors.  Gotta work around the excuses. 

I hope you guys had a great weekend, and I look forward to getting back to that whole healthy living thing. 

And I’m officially annoyed by my overuse of the word “staycation”.  I need to never say or type it again.  Ever.


  1. says

    Can you tell I have been looking forward to this post by how many times I have checked your page? I am so incredibly happy for you. I know (still working on it actually) what it’s like to be embarrased by your weight and have that hold you back. I am unbelievably proud of you for tackling so many fears this weekend. You are fierce mama! Maybe we can have a couples “staycation” (hee hee I used your word) this fall and do some cool stuff like this together. Oh, and way to be James! You rock too!

  2. says

    I always avoid my statcounter when I feel guilty for not posting! So I didn’t notice. But you are SUCH a stalker! ๐Ÿ˜‰ And I love it of course. Now I need to go stalk your blog and catch up.

    Thank you so much. We can definitely do that!! It would be a lot of fun!