Recovery Day 12 – Feeling Great!

Whew.  I just busted some serious butt to get my schoolwork done for the week.  One of these days I will learn not to wait until the last minute.

No I won’t.

Or actually, I will.  Because for the last year, I’ve had no incentive not to cram it all in on the weekend. My weekends sucked because J was gone. But now?  He’ll be home and we’ll actually DO stuff.  So maybe I will learn my lesson now.  I’ll keep you updated on that.

Anyway, let’s talk about last night.  It. Was. Awful.  We got in bed, I finished my blog post, we cuddled, and then….

I was awake for the next four and half freaking hours.  You know my numb right arm?  Well I think it’s like slowly waking up.  It’s like going through the same process that your foot goes through when it falls asleep.  It’s just going through it extra super slow.  It’s still partly numb and tingly but I’m getting more and more strength back.  But last night?  It was so restless.  I woke J up crying like 52 times.  I was so frustrated.  I would lie in bed, then shake my arm, then jump up and pace, play Candy Crush, and repeat the process all over again.  Ahhhhhh it was horrific.

I ended up taking some Benadryl thinking it would knock me out.  But the problem was that I was already exhausted.  That damn arm just wouldn’t stop torturing me!  I think I even fell asleep for a hot second but then something woke me up.  And you know that just pissed me off more.  And poor J…he just kept telling me to relax and try not to think about it.


Love you Babe, but yeah, I tried that.

Anyway.  Finally, at 4:30am, I got up and went into the kitchen.  And you know what I did?  I unloaded the dishwasher and re-loaded it.  And it felt great to actually do something constructive!  I used that damn arm for every damn dish.  I was hoping to tire it out.

I guess it worked because I got back in bed and fell fast asleep.  And I slept until 1pm.  I did wake up once to pee and take my ibuprofen.  Score!

Oh!  But in the process of all of that jumping in and out of bed plus pacing, I realized that I was starting to stand up a little straighter.  I was still pissed, but that part was exciting.

So today.  J woke up early and went grocery shopping (I made him a list last night).  How fantastic is that?  The kids and I have groceries for this week.  I am kicking ass in my recovery, but I don’t think I’m quite ready for two hours in a grocery store.  Then he came home and unloaded the groceries, cleaned out the seriously gross fridge and put away all of the groceries.  All that happened while I slept.

He’s my hero.

Once I woke up, the Colts game was on and J cleaned up the house while half-watching.  I was in a serious fog (from the Benadryl?), but thankfully it passed after eating some breakfast.

The pup hung out with me while J worked.

There is nothing sexier than a man vacuuming.  Maybe a man in uniform.  What about…a man vacuuming WHILE in uniform?  I need to get him to do that.

But seriously, again, what would I do without him?  I feel like I can breathe so much easier when the house is clean.  And now it is.  Moving along.

After a few hours of doing some random things (aka I can’t remember), we headed to the bedroom to get cleaned up.  J had bought me a new wireless black bra when he went grocery shopping, and it felt so good to get out of my nasty white sleeping bra.  It also inspired me to throw on a dress and do my makeup.  I felt so fancy in my new bra!

You guys made me feel like a superstar with your FB comments.  I really do feel like a new woman and I’m SO glad I had this surgery!  Life really really sucked there for a minute, but I’m getting better every day.  And leaving the house without wearing my stomach binder?  Huge win.
We headed out to the west wide to pick the kids up from my mom and Roz.  They had a fantastic weekend and were so excited to show me all of their birthday presents.  If I hadn’t previously mentioned it, my parents decided to celebrate all of the kids’ birthdays now.  That’s normal for the older two but Austin’s isn’t really until December.  But obviously we’ll be in Hawaii.
From there, we went to pick up a laptop cord for J because he forgot his in Afghanistan.  And then we headed to eat some seriously unhealthy food from Texas Roadhouse.

Audra and Austin are obsessed with using steak knives (which are really glorified butter knives at these places).

J ordered steak, and I ended up eating half of it.  I brought the rest home.

I ordered a grilled chicken salad.  Ignore all that ranch in the back.  You don’t see that.  But I ended up boxing the whole salad up because I sort of stuffed myself on cheese fries (and J’s steak).  Again, you didn’t read that.

I don’t feel bad at all for indulging.  But I have to say that it was freezing in the restaurant and I really couldn’t wait to get out of there.  I still prefer eating at home.
After we ate, we headed to the airport and dropped J off for his training in Colorado.  There were zero tears.  I’ll see him again in 5 days!  This is a sendoff I can handle.  I am sad that he’s going to Denver and I’m not.  I want to visit so badly!

I hopped in the driver’s side and took a picture to document my first time driving post-surgery.  I warned the kids that it could get a little hairy.  I actually did just fine except I nearly missed our exit and I had to jerk the wheel and cross the divider lines to make it.  I was thinking about my surgery.  Sue me.

But on the way home, the kids and I discussed how I would need them to pitch in more than normal.  I was thinking about how they could maybe keep their toys in their room.  They decided they could cook my meals for me.  I may let them.
We made it home, the kids unloaded the van (their dirty clothes, backpacks, and presents) and they even put everything away.  I am not sure who these kids are but I may need to have surgery more often!
I then jumped in my recliner and played briefly on Facebook got right on my schoolwork.  I always get a little jittery when I have a lot to do in a short amount of time.  But in the end, I finished with a few hours to spare and then we watched Big Brother.
So that was my day.  I’ve heard from J and he’s picking up his rental car now.  Please send good thoughts to him, although I know he’ll rock his training.
As far as my pain situation, I’ve been doing pretty well today.  I’ve taken two ibuprofen and two Aleve the whole day.  And guess what?!  NOOOOOOO headaches!  Not one!  I got a little lightheaded/nauseous when I needed to eat a few times.  But no headache.  It’s like the biggest relief ever.
I’m feeling so great about everything right now.  I still get little twinges of pain in my legs – they kind of feel like 15 second bee stings – but I’m doing just fine.  I’ve contracted some weird cough that kind of sucks, but it’s so minor in the big scheme of things.
Tomorrow I have to hit the Hawaii vacation rental market hard so we have somewhere to live during October.  I’ll share whatever I find.
Thanks for following along – I’m having so much sharing!
P.S. My weight was 144.2 today.  That means I’m down 11 pounds from before surgery!  I still have some swelling too, so I can’t wait to see where I go from here!